Executive Level 1 (several positions), Technology and Digital Division - Affirmative Measure (Disability)
Department of Industry, Science, Energy & Resources
Location:Any location in Australia
Categories:Policy, Executive Level 1
Please note:Technology and Digital Division is not a corporate ICT service delivery division. We focus on government policy and program delivery.
About the department
The department plays a key role in the Australian Government’s agenda to create jobs and build a stronger, more resilient and competitive economy. Our work builds on Australia’s existing strengths, supports businesses to grow, and drives new opportunities for long-term productivity growth and prosperity. The success of the department helps Australia recover from the economic consequences of COVID‑19 and adapt to its ongoing effects. Through our work, we support the government’s economic recovery plan and help to deliver a better future for all Australians.
About the team
The Technology and Digital Division helps Australia and Australians get the best out of technology to support the national interest.
We lead whole of government policy on critical technologies, economy-wide digital policy and develop and implement policies on critical and emerging technologies including artificial intelligence, robotics and quantum.
We engage closely with government, industry and other stakeholders in our work, and we also support Australia’s international engagement on digital economy and technology matters.
We are looking to fill several Executive Level 1 positions in the division.
We are a flexible and supportive workplace, and are open to job-sharing options for the positions.
While our main office is in Canberra, we welcome applications from all over Australia, where you can work from one of our many regional offices. We currently have staff based in Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne and Canberra, although candidates in other locations may be considered.
As an Assistant Manager within the Technology and Digital Division you will contribute to the work of the division, support your Manager, and lead junior staff to deliver your team’s work and high-quality policy products and advice.
Please note: Technology and Digital Division is not a corporate ICT service delivery division. We focus on government policy and program delivery.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidates will:
- Have strong relationship skills and be able to quickly build positive rapport with stakeholders across the industry and government
- Have a demonstrated history of developing and implementing government policies.
- Have a demonstrated ability to lead, mentor and manage the performance of diverse teams.
- Demonstrate strong conceptual, analytical, and oral communication skills, and a sound understanding of the government’s policy objectives and priorities on critical or digital technologies.
- Show good strategic judgement and the ability to work autonomously to complete tasks with limited or incomplete guidance.
- Be a team player and contribute to the whole work of the team and its culture.
- Have a proven ability to show initiative and develop innovative solutions to achieve results.
- Have excellent written communication skills, including the ability to quickly and accurately synthesise material from a diverse range of sources into targeted briefing for senior officials, forums, and non-expert audiences.
- Anticipate the needs of stakeholders and demonstrate strong stakeholder engagement, coordination and liaison skills.
- Thrive in a dynamic working environment and be comfortable with ambiguity.
What you will do
Activities may include:
- Driving policy development for technology and digital matters across government.
- Undertaking research and analysis in complex relevant policy issues and supporting and guiding junior staff in these tasks.
- Providing leadership, mentoring and coaching to a diverse team.
- Assisting in international engagement on digital economy and technology issues.
- Assisting in the Budget and Cabinet process, including developing and implementing new policies to support the government.
- Identifying and engaging agencies across federal, state and territory governments, industry and academia in support of the Minister’s objectives.
- Developing high quality oral and written briefings to support our executive, Minister’s Office, and Cabinet consideration of policy matters.
- Undertake problem solving and issue resolution, consulting with subject matter experts across government.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, candidates must be Australian Citizens.
Positions in the Technology and Digital Division require a Baseline security clearance and successful candidates will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level. If you hold a current security clearance, please note your clearance in your application.
A merit pool may be established and used to fill future vacancies within 18 months from the date the vacancy was first advertised in the Gazette.
Our department has a commitment to inclusion and diversity, with an ambition of being the best possible place to work. This reflects the importance we place on our people and on creating a workplace culture where each and every one of us is valued and respected for our contribution. Our ideal candidate adds to this culture and our workplace in their own way.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under Section 33 of the Australian Public Service Commissioner’s Direction 2022. This vacancy is open only to people with disability.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch can contain no more than 750 words and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
Accessible application documentation is available in other formats on request. Please contact [email protected] or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application.
Please refer to our Applying for a position information for additional information on how to apply.
For more information on this vacancy, please contact Matt Bernasconi on 0457 919 338 or [email protected]
Advertised:09 Mar 2023 AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close:22 Mar 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time